Requirements: Android 2.0+
Overview: American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs with 24,000 entries and 27,000 senses.
The most practical reference to the idiomatic and verbal expressions of contemporary American English!
From proverbial expressions such as “a stitch in time saves nine” to idioms such as “dead ringer” to such common phrases as “put out” and “take on”, idioms and phrasal verbs seem to serve no other purpose than to frustrate and confuse serious language learners like you. Don’t despair! Thanks to the efforts of noted lexicographer Richard A. Spears, mastering American English idioms has never been easier.
McGraw-Hill’s Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs covers the full breadth and scope of idiomatic American English, making it an invaluable resource for ESL students as well as writers, scholars, and public speakers. You will never be more confused by American English again to:
* More than 24,000 entries and 27,000 senses, with concise definitions and at least one example sentence for each phrase so you become comfortable using idiomatic phrases, proverbial expressions, and cliches
* Guidance on the correct tone and social context so you know when and where not to use certain words and phrases
* A comprehensive Phrase-Finder index of more than 60,000 entries that lets you locate phrases by key words, including common particles in two-part verbs
The MSDict Dictionary Format
The Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs is here presented in MSDict electronic format. MSDict offers best experience in mobile reference and is available for any handheld platform.
* Quick dynamic search of words while you type
* Transcriptions facilitating pronunciation
* Hyperlinks between different related words
* History to see the last 50 words you have looked up
* Support for memory cards
* Filters to help you locate the word you are searching for:
o Fuzzy filter- used when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
o Keyword-used to locate the instances of a key word within other compound words
o Wild card - "?" and "*" replace a letter and group of letters in words
* Fast article scrolling
* Ability to have dictionary Word of the day as a widget on the phone home screen
* Ability to search words in the installed dictionaries through the standard phone search feature